Saturday, November 21, 2009

Gabourey Sidibe: Star of the Movie "Precious"

OK. So I know it's been awhile since I've blogged, but honestly, there hasn't been much happening that has inspired me to blog. Plus, I feel like because I live in West Bumble, I'm behind the curve on a lot of things. For example, apparently I missed the ten-day window in which "Good Hair," played in this area. I have also missed the memo on all these juicy interviews, including Diane Sawyer's interview with Rhianna, and Robin Roberts' interview with Janet Jackson.

Therefore, I'm not even going to bother to review the movie, "Precious" in this post (although I thought it was a pretty good movie). My thoughts are that most of you have seen it already. Instead, I'd like to pose a question about the star of the movie, Gabourey "Gabby" Sidibe (sidenote: I have no ill intentions here). However, I am really curious as to whether folks think that the movie industry will pressure Sidibe to lose weight, now that's she's gotten major acclaim? Also, do you think she should lose weight, or is she fine the way she is?

In a recent interview with Oprah, Gabby said, "My first diet started when I was six years old." "I've never been a small girl. One day I had to sit down with myself and decide that I loved myself no matter what my body looked like and what other people thought about my body."


(January 16, 2009
- Photo by Jason Merritt/Getty Images North America)

Her confidence seems to have caught the director of the movie, Lee Daniels, by surprise. According to Daniels, "She is unequivocally comfortable in her body, in a very bizarre way. Either she's in a state of denial or she's so elevated that she's on another level. "I had no doubt in my mind that she had four or five boyfriends, easily."

Personally I really admire her self-confidence, particularly in a world in which there is a lot of pressure for women to be thin. However, is she as an arguably morbidly obese woman in a "state of denial" because she is happy with her body?

Like I said, there is no intention to be a jerk here, I'm just curious about people's thoughts.


3 comments:

Don said...

First off I agree the movie was pretty good. It kinda caught me by surprise that it surrounded incest. But I definitely give it the thumbs up to anyone interested in the film.

I cannot really say about her size. I immediately noticed that it looked uncomfortable and unhealthy but if her mind is secure, then I say so be it.

To answer your question: Yes, I think she's probably more overweight with the fact that she claims comfort in her physical appearance.

The Substantive Stylista said...

Thanks for your comment Don. Keep them coming :-)

Unknown said...

I just read an article about her body image and she said this. I love this girl

On her self-image:

If she met herself at a party, "I'd think I was pretty. Is that weird? I might be really interested in me. I'd probably watch myself the whole night, then I'd come over and say, 'You're a really good dancer.' We'd talk for a while and then," she says, starting to giggle at the silliness of it, "we'd go home separately to avoid the paparazzi."