According to recent news reports, New York Governor, David Paterson is alleged to have used his political influence to interfere in a domestic violence case involving one of his top staffers. Purportedly, Paterson pressured a woman to drop domestic violence charges against his aide, David Johnson, and even got the New York State Police involved. And in case you were wondering ( I know I was), David Johnson is black :-( (Insert collective shame here). News reports are also alleging that Governor Paterson has engaged in the unethical use of gift money, including the receipt of tickets to the World Series.
Amidst the growing controversy, there has been pressure for Paterson to step down from his post, and he's already announced that he won't run for another term. Meanwhile some prominent black leaders have decided to stand behind the embattled Governor. When asked if race might be the impetus propelling the media's coverage, City Councilman Charles Barron said, "Of course it's a race thing. They don't want us in those positions. Race still matters."
What do you think? Is it a matter of race? Is Governor Paterson being held to an unfair standard because he is black? Or should we just call a spade, a spade? (pun intended). Personally, I feel that if he intervened in the domestic violence case, then he is dead WRONG. Do I think he should resign, because of that? Ummmm....no. I am not trying to minimize the gravity of domestic violence, but I don't think his intervention is resignation worthy. As far as the World Series tickets, it really does make it appear as if they are on fishing expedition. Give me a break.
I've listened to news reports on the radio, as well as the local barbershop/beauty salon discussions, and my unscientific polling finds that a lot of black folk feel that Governor Paterson is being treated unfairly. It's not that people don't think that his alleged behavior was improper, but basically a lot of people seem to think that all politicians are corrupt, so why single out Governor Paterson? What do you think?
* The title of this blog post comes from a conversation with a wise and funny friend. I won't use the person's name, but I like to give credit, where credit is due :-)
Friday, March 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment